James “Buster” Douglas is the man who ensured the biggest upset in boxing history when he knocked out Mike Tyson in 1990.
Shocked after hearing about Mike Tyson vs Roy Jones match on November 28 in Los Angeles.
Watch the video of James Douglas. Click here!
Roy Jones WBA World Title Win
Tyson (54) is the former undisputed heavyweight champion. But he will soon fight for the first time since 2005 when he faces Jones (51), four-division winner, in the eight-round exhibition.
Back in the 90s, a prime version of Jones, he was assumed to be the possibility of confronting Douglas at heavyweight.
At that time Douglas thought a deal had been reached. In contrast, Jones withdrew from their negotiations, and the fight fell apart.
Douglas told DJ Vlad: “He pulled out, his dad told him not to do it. It probably wasn’t in his best interests to fight me as he was biting off too much.”
As a result, Jones however eventually in 2003 went to heavyweight. In other words, he won the WBA world title from John Ruiz. Also, he would never make insurance. Instead, he opted to return to the light heavyweight limit of 175-pounds.
James “Buster” Douglas About His Comeback
Douglas, based on their past failed negotiations, is quiet shocked that Jones agreed to face Tyson. Also, he has doubts the contest will come off.
Douglas said: “I was surprised that it was even announced (at all) because I was like, wait a minute what does [Jones] see that I don’t see or, you know because you’ve got to feel like you can beat somebody to expect the fight with them.”
He further continued: “That was confusing because I know what he and I went through but then he turns around and he’s going to fight Mike, so I was like ‘wow’. He must see something or know something.”
Ended by saying: “But then I see he’s doubting it now, debating or not whether he’s going to do it. So I don’t think it’s going to happen. I think (Roy) he has a chance but it’s a slim chance. Slimmer than Buster Douglas.”