NBA Planning To Resume On July 31: ESPN sources have told the NBA is leaning towards resumption by July 31 in Orlando. They have also said that NBA plans to resume with a 22 team format and could have the finals in October 2020. As per the sources, the last possible date for the NBA finals could be October 12, 2020.
The outbreak of the COVID-19 has brought the world to a halt and has disrupted every major industry on the planet. Owing to huge economic losses, companies and industries are doing their best to stay afloat. However, things seem to be easing up in certain parts of the world. And this will prove to be a major boost in reviving the economy and getting the country back on track.
NBA Planning To Resume On July 31
The pandemic has canceled every major event in the world with the sporting world with losses in the billions. However, certain activities have resumed under strict precautions and as per the guidelines of the government. Similarly, the NBA is also planning to resume by July 31. As per the sources at ESPN, NBA has proposed to resume the game with a 22 team format. And as per further information, the NBA finals could be held on October 7, 2020.
This proposed is expected to pass on Thursday (4/6/2020) at the Board Of Governor’s meeting. NBA is currently focusing on 22 teams that will return to face the 16 playoff teams who are already in position. There are six teams on their way out and will play again for the eight seeds. The teams are now expected to be in Orlando in July to start training at the facilities and move down to a more formal camp later in July itself.
What Is The Newly Proposed Plan?
- The plan includes 13 Western Conference teams and nine Eastern Conference teams, eight regular-season games, a possible play-in tournament for the eighth seed, and playoffs, sources said.
- The top 16 teams in both Eastern and Western conferences will be joined by teams currently within six games of 8th place in both conferences.
- The play-in tournament will include teams at No.8 and No.9 if the No.9 team finishes the season with 4 points to the No.8. If this happens, No.8 enters a double-elimination tournament, whereas No.9 enters a single-elimination tournament.
- If any player tests positive for the virus during the season, he will be taken off and quarantined immediately for individual treatment. However, the league will also continue to test other players as well as the season progresses.
- As per the Walt Disney Company, the NBA will have a uniform and daily testing for the COVID-19 within the Disney Campus.
How Will The Finals In October Impact The Off-Season Schedule?
As per ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski, you can expect a sequential number of teams that you expect in a normal NBA season. After the finals, the NBA Draft comes in several days later, followed by a free agency. The interesting thing about the NBA this year is the window between the current season and the new season. NBA would be looking to kick off its new season by Christmas 2020, which is certainly going to be a tight window. It will have to be collectively bargained with the Players Association. Although, the Players Association aren’t the ones who have brought in these 22 games to the finals proposal. Internal discussions between the Association and the NBA are currently progressing.
However, under the 22 team model stage, the date of the finals is 12th October 2020